When it comes to finding the best private schools in San Antonio, parents have a lot of choices. With so many great schools to choose from, it can be difficult to decide which one is right for your family. In this blog post, we will rank the best five private schools in San Antonio based on several factors that are important to parents.
Our team of experts reviewed the largest and most recommend private schools to check the quality of education offered by each school, as well as college and job opportunities. We will also compare tuition rates and scholarships available, as well as the distance from San Antonio.
Antonian College Preparatory High School
Address: 6425 West Ave, San Antonio, TX 78213
Yearly Tuition: About $11,000 per year
Grades: 9 to 12
Enrollment: About 1000 students
Antonian College Preparatory High School is located in Northwest San Antonio and is one of the best private high schools in the area. It is a Catholic institution dedicated to Gospel teachings that aspires to work in collaboration with parents in the development of young men and women with exceptional competence, character, and conscience.
The school was founded in 1964 and is a private high school for students in 9th through 12th grade that focuses on catholic education and is accredited by:
- National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA)
- Texas Association of Accredited Private Schools (TAAPS)
- Texas Catholic Conference Education Department
- Well respected in South Texas
- Large number of AP classes and extracurriculars
- Good student-to-teacher ratio with small class sizes and highly educated teachers and staff
Central Catholic High School
Address: 1403 N St Marys, San Antonio, TX 78215
Grades: 9 to 12
Enrollment: About 500 students
Central Catholic High School is an all-boys private school located in the heart of San Antonio that offers a faith-based, college preparatory education for young men in grades nine through twelve.
The school was founded in 1852 and is the oldest Catholic high school west of the Mississippi River. It is accredited by the National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA). Unlike some other private high schools in the San Antonio area Central Catholic High School has a formal dress code and requires students to wear uniforms.
- Formal dress code
- Financial aid available for low-income families
- High average SAT scores for graduating Seniors
Saint Mary’s Hall
Address: 9401 Starcrest Dr, San Antonio, TX 78217
Yearly Tuition: About $10,000 per year depending on grade
Grades: Pre-K to 12
Enrollment: About 1000 students
Saint Mary’s Hall is a private school in North East San Antonio and is one of the largest private Christian school in the area. It serves students from pre-kindergarten through twelfth grade. The school is best known for its rigorous academic program that prepares students for college and beyond.
Saint Mary’s Hall is accredited by the Independent Schools Association of the Southwest (ISAS) and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS). In addition to a strong academic program the school also offers a variety of extracurricular activities, sports teams, and clubs.
- Located on 60 acre campus near Salado Creek
- Offers students 23 extracurriculars, 13 spots and countless clubs and organizations
- Montessori classes for young students and AP classes for high schoolers
Cornerstone Christian Schools
Address: 17702 NW Military Hwy, San Antonio, TX 78257
Yearly Tuition: About $10,000 per year
Grades: Pre-K to 12
Enrollment: About 1,300 students
Cornerstone Christian School is a christ focused college prep in far North San Antonio that serves pre-kindergarten through 12 grade students. The school was founded in 1993with the mission of providing families an excellent education based on Biblical truths.
Cornerstone Christian Schools is accredited by:
- Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI)
- Southern Association Of Colleges And Schools (SACS)
- Texas Private School Accreditation Commission
In addition to regular classes and college prep Cornerstone also offers classes for students with ADD/ADHD, dyslexia, some forms of autism, and mild learning differences which are good for students who learn best in a smaller setting or need more one-on-one attention.
Trinity Christian Academy
Address: 5401 N Loop 1604 E, San Antonio, TX 78247
Yearly Tuition: About $6,500
Grades: K to 12
Enrollment: About 100 students
Trinity Christian Academy is a small, private school near North Loop 1604. It is not as big as some of the larger private schools on our list but it has a good student-to-teacher ratio and offers students a college preparatory education.
The school is accredited by the Texas Private School Accreditation Commission (TEPSAC) and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS). In addition to academics, Trinity Christian Academy offers students a variety of extracurricular activities, sports teams, and clubs.
How We Picked Our Top Dallas Private Schools
To compile our ranking of the best private schools in the San Antonio area, we looked at the following factors to pick the best private schools of 2023:
- Quality of education – We looked at the curriculum offered by each school, as well as the teaching staff and resources available to make sure your child gets the highest quality education in South Texas
- College opportunities – We looked at the percentage of students who go on to attend college and the types of colleges they are accepted to – especially for competitive programs and universities.
- Job opportunities – We looked at the job placement rate for graduates and the types of jobs they are able to get after high school and college graduation.
- Class size – One of the main reasons parents choose private schools is because of the smaller class sizes. We made sure to take this into account when ranking our top schools.
- Tuition and scholarships – We looked at the tuition rates for each school and compared them to other schools in the area. We also looked at any scholarships or financial aid that is available to help families afford private school education
- Teacher Experience and Training – Good teachers can make or break a private school and our rating list highly values a great teaching staff.
- College opportunities – Getting into a top-rated college after senior year is a big priority for many students and their families. We looked at the percentage of students who go on to attend college and the types of colleges they are accepted to – especially for competitive programs and universities like Law, Computer Science and Business.
- Future job opportunities – One of the main reasons parents choose private schools is because of the job placement rate for graduates and the types of jobs they are considered for in top industries like law, medicine (like Podiatry and Physical Therapy), and tech fields like software development!
- Distance from San Antonio – All of the private elementary and high schools on our list are located within a commutable distance from downtown San Antonio so they are convenient for families who live and work in the city.
- State test scores – Test scores on State tests like the STAAR are one way to measure a school’s academic success and we looked at how each private school performed on these tests to get a fair comparison between schools.
- Parent and student reviews – We read through hundreds of private school reviews from parents and students to get a sense of what life is like at each school on our list. This helped us understand the culture and day-to-day experience for families.
We believe that our ranking of the best private schools in San Antonio represents the best choices for families in the area who are looking for a high-quality, affordable education for their children. We hope this guide is helpful as you begin your search for the perfect private school!