If you’re after a top-notch private education, Austin, Texas is the place to be. These schools offer great college opportunities and jobs after you graduate. Consider attending one of Austin’s private schools – they’re some of the best in the nation.
Sorting through all the private schools in Austin can be tricky with so many options. This guide simplifies your search by ranking Austin’s top private schools. We’ve taken into account five important factors: educational quality, chances of getting into college, job prospects, cost and scholarships, and location in Austin. Tune in to find out which school might be the best fit for your family and child in 2023.
|Regents School of Austin||10/10|
|St. Stephen’s Episcopal School||9.6/10|
|Austin Peace Academy||9.4/10|
|St. Andrew’s Episcopal School||9.1/10|
|Brentwood Christian School||8.5/10|
|Redeemer Lutheran School||8.3/10|
|Round Rock Christian Academy||8/10|
Regents School of Austin
Address: 3230 Travis Country Cir, Austin, TX 78735
Enrollment: 1000+ students
Regents School of Austin, located in Southwest Austin, Texas, is a K-12 classical Christian school that provides a unique educational experience for over 1,000 students. The school is situated on an expansive 82-acre campus, offering a nurturing environment that encourages academic excellence and personal growth.
The school’s curriculum is founded on a classical model, which uses time-tested tools to equip students for life, college, and beyond. This approach is taught through the lens of a Christian worldview, fostering a deep understanding of what is true, good, and beautiful. The school is divided into three sections: the Grammar School (K-Grade 6), the School of Logic (Grades 7-8), and the School of Rhetoric (Grades 9-12), each designed to cater to the specific developmental needs of students at different stages of their education.
Regents School of Austin has a rich history, having been founded in 1992 by a group of individuals committed to providing a distinctly different educational opportunity. From its humble beginnings with 17 students, the school has grown significantly and is now recognized for its outstanding accomplishments in teaching, curriculum, student achievement, parental involvement, and community support.
The school is committed to providing an inclusive environment, with a non-discriminatory policy that ensures equal opportunities for all students, regardless of race, color, national, or ethnic origin. The supportive community at Regents School of Austin, comprising talented, caring, and godly faculty and staff, along with engaged and involved parents, helps students thrive and reach their full potential.
- Regents School of Austin offers a unique classical Christian education, providing students with a well-rounded, values-based learning experience.
- The school has a supportive community of talented and caring faculty and staff, fostering a nurturing environment for student growth.
- The school’s expansive 82-acre campus provides ample space for various educational and extracurricular activities, enhancing the overall learning experience.
- The classical education model, while rigorous and comprehensive, may not cater to the learning styles of all students, particularly those who thrive in more modern or progressive educational environments.
- As a Christian school, the curriculum is taught through a Christian worldview, which may not align with the beliefs or preferences of all families.
- The school’s location in Southwest Austin may pose logistical challenges for families living in other parts of the city or surrounding areas, potentially requiring long commutes.
St. Stephen’s Episcopal School
Address: 1800 Sul Ross St, Houston, TX 77098
Grades: Pre-K to 12
Enrollment: 300+ students
St. Stephen’s Episcopal School, located in the Montrose area of Houston, is a private institution that offers a unique, progressive, and globally focused education for students aged 15 months to 8th grade. The school’s curriculum is grounded in Montessori principles, fostering lifelong learners and influential global citizens.
St. Stephen’s is not a one-size-fits-all educational institution. It is committed to promoting understanding and respect while instilling a sense of responsibility for our interconnected world. The school’s primary focus is to aid students in becoming both good learners and good people, providing a caring community that is true of moral and academic learning.
The school’s approach to education is about exploration, inspiration, and a willingness to delve deeper into the world around us. St. Stephen’s commitment to holistic education, rigorous standards, and a safe, respectful, and accepting environment sets it apart from other schools.
St. Stephen’s integrates religious and spiritual formation into the overall curriculum and life of the school community. It encourages students to form a global perspective, embracing differences, and affirming the innate worth of all people.
The school offers a range of programs from Orientation for the youngest students (15 months to 3 years) to Middle Years for 7th and 8th graders. Each program is designed to meet the developmental needs of students at that age, with a focus on fostering creativity, scholarly inquiry, and independence.
- St. Stephen’s Episcopal School offers a progressive, globally-focused education grounded in Montessori principles, fostering lifelong learners and influential global citizens.
- The school provides a caring community that promotes understanding, respect, and responsibility for our interconnected world, aiding students in becoming both good learners and good people.
- Teachers at St. Stephen’s are readily available, transparent in communication, and always happy to explain their rationale for different learning experiences, allowing parents to learn alongside their children.
- The school’s Montessori-based approach may not suit all students, particularly those who thrive in a more structured, traditional learning environment.
- As a private institution, St. Stephen’s Episcopal School may have higher tuition fees compared to public schools, which could be a financial burden for some families.
- The school’s religious and spiritual formation integrated into the overall curriculum may not align with the beliefs of all families, potentially leading to conflicts or discomfort.
Austin Peace Academy
Address: 5110 Manor Rd, Austin, TX 78723
Grades: Pre-K to 12
Austin Peace Academy (APA), located in Austin, Texas, offers a compelling blend of academic excellence, character education, and community integration that sets it apart as a premier private institution. Consistently recognized as one of the best private K-12 schools in the Austin area by Niche for four consecutive years, APA is known for fostering an environment that sparks innovation, inspires service, and stimulates exploration.
Beginning their academic journey on August 8th, 2023, students are immersed in a curriculum that places equal importance on academic prowess and personal development. Here, education is not just about knowledge acquisition; it’s a comprehensive, character-building experience. Students are encouraged to express, create, believe, dream, and grow into empathetic, compassionate individuals. They are taught to see themselves as part of a larger family, a tight-knit community that values mutual respect, empathy, and unity.
Outside of the classroom, the students experience a diversity of actions and activities that fortify their character and enable them to perform acts of kindness. APA’s focus on developing the individual child, not just academically, but also as an integral, interdependent member of their community is exemplary. Their vision to promote educational excellence and meaningful faith in a nurturing environment is evident in every aspect of the school’s operation.
If you’re a parent seeking a school that prizes character and compassion as much as academia, Austin Peace Academy is the right choice. Their philosophy extends beyond education, preparing students for life, instilling them with a sense of purpose, and equipping them with the tools necessary to contribute positively to the world around them.
- Austin Peace Academy provides a holistic education, focusing on both academic excellence and character development.
- APA has been consistently recognized as the second-best private school in Austin by Niche, demonstrating its high-quality academic program.
- The school fosters a nurturing community environment, encouraging students to see themselves as integral, interdependent members.
- Being a private school, tuition fees may be higher than those of public schools, which could be a financial strain for some families.
- The emphasis on faith may not appeal to families who prefer a more secular approach to education.
- For families residing far from Austin, the school’s location and commute time may pose a challenge.
How We Selected Our Top Austin Private Schools
To assemble our ranking of the finest private schools in Austin, we evaluated each school on following factors:
- Educational Quality – We scrutinized the school’s curriculum, faculty, and facilities to select the cream of the crop among private elementary, middle, and high schools in Austin.
- Class Size – The size of the class is crucial as it enables more personalized attention from teachers, enhancing the student learning experience.
- Faculty – The quality of private schools is largely determined by their teachers. We examined the teachers’ qualifications, experience, and teaching methods to identify the top Austin private schools.
- College Prospects – We considered the proportion of students going to college and the nature of the colleges they choose.
- Future Employment Opportunities – We assessed the job placement rate post-graduation and the kinds of jobs graduates secure.
- Tuition and Scholarships – We took into account the cost of tuition and the availability of scholarships.
- Proximity to Austin – We factored in the closeness of the private school to Austin, ensuring all schools on our list are within the Austin area.
- State Test Scores – While test scores aren’t everything, they serve as a reliable indicator of academic performance at a private school and the standard of education.
This methodology helped us identify top Austin private schools like St. Stephen’s Episcopal School, St. Michael’s Catholic Academy, Austin Peace Academy, Griffin School, and Regents School of Austin.